Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Ideas for catfolk

Catfolk are one of the standard beastfolk races in fantasy and scifi that features beastfolk.

There isn't really much I can say that hasn't already been said by the innumerable catfolk writeups in various fantasy supplements. Instead, I decided to put together some traits from various different catfolk in scifi and fantasy. I had this in my head for a couple years but somehow haven't posted until now.

My primary influences are: khajiit from The Elder Scrolls, artathi from Legends & Lairs: Mythic Races, and c'tarl-c'tarl from Outlaw Star.

From the khajiit: I take the concept of astrological birth signs determining the degree of anthropomorphism. Based on their birth sign, a catfolk may range in size from a talking housecat to a horse-sized panther and range in appearance from an intelligent feline to a human/elf with slight feline features.

From the artathi: I take the concept of a caste system based on their feline species aspect. These castes would include lion, tiger, puma, lynx, cheetah, leopard, jaguar, and snow leopard. As with other caste systems, each is pigeonholed into particular social and economic roles. Mixed-race individuals would be considered outcasts.

From the c'tarl-c'tarl: I take the concept of a shapeshifter who can change shape from nearly human to giant cat and everything in between. This would be considered a distinct birth sign.

Miscellaneous links

No comments:

Post a Comment