Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Proto-Indo-European mythology

For the most part my posts have been setting agnostic, though I have been slowly trying to build my own setting that addresses my pet peeves with typical fantasy world building. My pet peeves for the most part stem from the needless overcomplexity of D&Disms such as alignment, cosmology, taxonomy and haphazard kitchen sink fantasy. Now I decided specifically to use Proto-Indo-European mythology as the basis for my current world building. Indo-European includes the Baltic, Celtic, Greek, Iranian, Norse, Roman, Slavic, Teutonic and Vedic cultures, among others. I chose this because D&D takes the majority of its inspiration from Indo-European mythologies (and possibly influenced by earlier mythologies if the Vanir hypothesis holds weight). That makes easier the fitting of existing classes and monsters into the new framework, since most of the groundwork is already laid.

There isn’t enough scholarly resources for me to study the mythologies of other proto-cultures. I would like to, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment